What is the tool?
The Form Based Code Template is a tool to help facilitate the establishment of a form based code ordinance. Form based code is an emerging ordinance type that, unlike traditional zoning, emphasizes physical form to regulate and guide development and implement the vision for a place.
Form based codes specify design for places and centers through a comprehensive process that relies on local decision making, and allows for uses to adapt based on demand. Form based code sets a design standard rather than a minimum requirement and encourages active, vibrant communities that are both highly functional and aesthetically pleasing.
This tool is a template to guide the creation of form based code. It is ready for calibration to any community. The template was designed with the intention to simplify the creation and implementation of a form based code.
What is the objective?
The Form Based Code Template provides a template ready to be calibrated to fit the needs and vision of individual communities, centers, or corridors. It guides communities through a step by step process through the use of the Workbook.
Who would benefit?
- Communities looking to enhance or re-imagine their centers and corridors
- Municipalities seeking to update their current zoning regulations in a way that can be implemented clearly and consistently
- Municipalities looking to establish a neighborhood standard
- Simplifies the process of creating and adopting a form based code for a municipality
- Provides support to communities interested in implementing their vision
- Exemplifies a complete, highly illustrative form based code process based on local decisions
- Sets the stage for a self guided, comprehensive approach to zoning code development
What does the tool require?
The tool is free to access. There are two possible methods to use this tool: the digitally interactive use of Adobe InDesign, or calibration through the Portable Document Format (pdf.) Internet access is required to download using either of these methods.
- Confidence that the code was developed in the most complete and thorough manner available
- A complete zoning code that upholds design and function standards, encourages economic development, and reduces the traditional emphasis on land uses
- A simple implementation process that promotes permitted uses and outlines a streamlined criteria for plan reviews
- A customized, place-specific code that represents the community vision
- Predictable, consistent developments that consistently uphold the vision of the community and positively influence the local economy through time and market changes